Wednesday 25 March 2015

How to Save Money at the Movies







In my last post, I lamented how expensive it was to go to the movies. Especially when there are good films coming out left, right and centre. It’s even more expensive when you you’re a student and earn next to nothing at a part time job. I’m not kidding when I say going to the movies can cost $30 per person. Per Person. Now imagine trying to catch a film every week. That’s $120 a month. What am I? A millionaire? (I’m not).

However, I do have a few tips on how you can save money at the cinemas, because I care for you guys (and your wallets). You can seriously cut down on movie prices and go in stress free.

Buy your tickets there


Buying tickets online is really convenient but it comes at a cost. Well, an extra cost. Yes, it’s only $1.20, but these things add up. Instead save your money and go to the cinemas about 30-45 minutes before the movie starts and get your tickets without stressing about lines


Become a cinebuzz member

You know the ads that show up before the movie starts, telling you about how you can get free movie tickets if you sign up for cinebuzz and you always tell yourself you will but you always forget? Is that just me? Well it’s easier than ever to sign up, just grab a card from the counter and activate it online. It’s really easy.


Cinebuzz is great. For every 6 movies you watch, you get a free one. Get enough points and you can go treat yourself to a Gold Class viewing, ooh la la.


Pay attention to events and promotions

Keep an eye out for events and promotions your cinema might be having. ‘Chicks at the Flicks’ is one that encourages you to attend in groups and get massive discounts off tickets. You don't necessarily have to be female either...

Also look out for the movie of the week, usually there is a discount on that film. 


Go with friends or family and split snacks


I find that what swallows up the most money is snacks. So if you must, go with a couple of friends or your siblings and split a bucket of popcorn and a big drink.


If you watch films alone, eat before you go 


If you watch films alone, don’t despair, have a big meal before you go and if you get thirsty just buy a water (the cheapest drink on the menu usually). That way you don’t feel the need to eat during the showing and you save lots of money.

Bring your own snacks

‘But I need to eat’ you say plaintively. It’s okay, I got you. I too like to snack for no reason. Sometimes I take my own snacks, like biscuits or chocolate into the cinema. I find that if I buy them at Woolies, it’s a lot cheaper than if I bought them at the cinema. Be careful though, some cinemas have rules against allowing outside food and drinks in. Sneak them in anyway.

Student discounts

It always shocks me when people don’t realise you can get discounts for being at school. It’s only around 10% but hey that’s better than nothing. Just take in your student card next time you go. Plus if you’re a student with a cinebuzz card you get even cheaper tickets on Mondays-Thursdays.


Don’t bother with 3D, V-Max or Gold Class

Really don’t. Like I said earlier, Gold Class is a treat, a splurge, a once in a long while kind of thing. Same goes with V-max. I’d suggest you don’t watch 3D anyway, since I think it ruins the experience (my opinion). Either way, all of these forms are a lot more expensive than standard movies and not really important. Keep that money in your pocket.


I'm really looking forward to watching Insurgent this week and finally getting around to Kingsmen. If you have any other tips, comment below or tweet me. I love to hear from you. 

Bissy






2 comments :